June 12, 2010

Chocolate Cake


My friend made this chocolate cake a few weeks back and I have been craving another ever since (yes, from salad to chocolate cake...that is how I roll!).  It is not super rich and not super dense...but sooo much better than from a box.  So, I was behind on housework and feeling a bit overwhelmed...and didn't know where to start..........
So, I baked a cake!
It helped.
It is so delicious and easy, I thought I'd pass along.  I believe she got it from *The Amish Cook* (that is what it says on the bottom...I don't know anything about it?!)
Anyway, here it is!
Oh, and sorry, I don't have step-by-step photos like the *fancy* blogs...but you still must try it!

Chocolate Cake
1 c. lard or shortening
2 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
8 Tbls. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c. milk
2 Tbls. lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
2 c. all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350*.  Cream together the lard, sugar, eggs, and cocoa in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice and let set for at least 5 minutes.*  Add this to the creamed mixture.  Mix in the flour, salt, baking soda, and vanilla.  The batter will be thin.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

*Hint:  When souring the milk with the lemon juice, be sure to let it set for at least 5 minutes before adding it to the batter.  If the milk is not sour enough, the cake will go flat.

I didn't make my own frosting.  Betty Crocker did that for me! ;)  I love those *whipped* ones.  I used the Hershey's milk chocolate whipped.  Oh, and Nolan always has to have sprinkles on cake.  Enjoy! 
Let me know if you try it and like it as much as me! (and if it helped with your housework too...I promise, it does!! *grin*)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think I can just use buttermilk instead of souring the milk with lemon juice...isn't that basically the same thing? Rachel Saenz

Leah said...

Looks yummy. I'm still a die hard "Good Earth Chocolate Cake" fan ... it's from the original Prescott Cookbook and I think it might be in the new one.

Salad and chocolate cake are a great day's menu in my opinion. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...