I want to share two of my favorite pumpkin recipes. Pumpkin Roll and Pumkin Bars. I actually made the bar recipe into cupcakes (thanks Aunt Nancy for the idea) and they were cute! The kids L.O.V.E.D. them ... especially Laura!! Pumpkin is healthy, right?! Also, with a small can of pumpkin, you can make both recipes!
(New square plate from Hobby Lobby...love that place!)
PUMKIN ROLL
(Recipe from my friend Melanie and also Tasty Kitchen)
ROLL:
¾ c. Flour
½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Baking Soda
½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Cloves
¼ tsp. Salt
3 eggs
1 c. White Sugar
⅔ c. Pure Pumpkin
Powdered Sugar (for Powdering Your Kitchen Towel)
CREAM CHEESE ICING:
8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
6 Tbls. Butter, Softened
1 c. Sifted Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
For Cake:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 17 x 11 jelly-roll pan. Line with wax paper; grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
In a bowl combine: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
In a separate bowl mix the eggs and white sugar until thick. Beat in the canned pumpkin. Stir into the flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
Bake for 13 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately turn cake onto prepared towel. Slowly peel off the wax paper. Roll the cake up in the towel, starting with narrow end. Cool on a wire rack.
For the filling:
Beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Unroll cake and remove towel. Spread cream cheese filling over cake. Reroll cake. Store in a container with a lid. Keep refrigerated.
If you can refrain from eating the deliciousness of this roll right away it’s better when it’s been refrigerated for at least an hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if you like.
PUMKIN BARS (or cupcakes)
(recipe from my Grandma Fisher)
BARS (or cupcakes):
4 eggs
1 c. oil (I substituted unsweetened applesauce)
2 c. sugar
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 c. nuts or raisins
Combine eggs, oil, sugar and pumpkin in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into a large, greased cookie sheet. (or fill muffin tin liners 3/4 full). Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until done. (15-18 minutes for cupcakes). Frost when cool.
FROSTING:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 stick butter, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. milk
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Gradually add vanilla. Then add milk as needed. (I didn't add any milk when I frosted cupcakes as I wanted it a little thicker.)


2 comments:
Yum! That pumpkin roll looks so good! I really have to get around to making one.
Love the recipes and your Christmas cards from years past. :) What fun!
I'll let you know if I try your recipes...we have a potluck coming up tonight and I may do the cupcakes. We'll see.
Post a Comment