November 10, 2010

Scissor Happy

Nolan used scissors on his own for the first time yesterday. 


Yes, he just turned four...
Yes, I have now learned that scissors should have been  introduced sooner...
Yes, I have have real apprehensions of little boys with scissors. 


Now, before you go "judging"...let me explain.  My own, dear younger brother was named "Scissor Fingers" for a time of his life.  He was around 5...and he liked to cut everything! ...his hair, mom's brand-new lawn chairs, etc.  So, in my mind, scissors weren't to be introduced until...well, after 5!  (Never mind that Nolan hasn't the same destructive tendencies.)  Well, at his 4 year checkup, his doctor asked me,  how well does Nolan do with scissors?..... ummm...I guess I didn't let him try those out yet.  "Oh, well, it is important for development, yada yada".  So, I went and bought him some scissors.


Yesterday, he made up for lost time (considered calling that doctor).  I am NOT exaggerating when I tell you that he sat there for an hour and a half! and cut paper into tiny shapes. 


"Mom, my scissors are still hungry...what else can they eat?" 

And, guess what he asked to do first thing this morning??  Yep...you guessed it!

"Mom, I cut a square!"

I never knew there was such a void to be filled.  But, no reason to fret...the void is filled and running over!

4 comments:

Polly said...

Hi Nikki, This is Polly Burke, Nancy forwarded your blog. Kids really love to cut on those foam squares that you can get at the hobby shops or the 99cent store. Also cutting homemade playdough is very popular in our classroom. It has a satisfying feel to it. Trevor did the same thing when I brought him sissors for a visit!

NikkiB said...

Thanks for the ideas Polly! I bet he could then use the foam to paint w/ or something. Great to hear from you and hope you're enjoying the blog! :) My aunt is a proud "Great Aunt"! ;)

Megan said...

Love that proud look on his face for cutting that square!

Leah said...

I don't think I introduced scissors much before 4 either, but I can't remember now. Funny how they DO LOVE CUTTING!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...