August 12, 2010

Happy Birthday, Carl . . . Good-Bye . . .

When we woke up Wednesday morning, this is what Carl looked like:

9:00 a.m.

At 10:15 a.m., Nolan and I looked in the jar and saw this:

We missed the actual "emerging from the chrysalis", but I think only by a minute or less.


Then I decided to video tape the next minute (I am so glad I did!): *In the video, take notice of the circular "antennae-like" things on his head that curl out...they collect nectar with those (in the background toward the end).  Also, those little fluttering black/white butterfly-looking things on his head (by the circular antennae)...they are actually a set of legs!



Right after the video . . .

Here you can see his wings still a little crumpled:

The "Empty Tomb" :

Notice those cool "Nectar Collectors":

He then sat (hung) in this position for about 2-3 hours allowing his wings to "dry out":


When it was time to let him go, Nolan didn't want to part with him.  Daddy told him that he would find him another "Carl" to watch.


So, he set Carl free:

Carl did need a little coaxing:

Isn't he beautiful? 
(And yes, it is a "Carl"! ...the two black ovals on the inner / lower part of the wing told Frank so.)

We had SO much fun watching this process!  I hope you enjoyed the journey with us! 
Thanks, Frank for an awesome science project and fun learning experience!

1 comment:

Kelly Marin said...

Nikki the kids and I really enjoyed that. How cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...