We have taken in a Monarch Caterpillar and he has taken residence on my dining room table. Frank is our resident butterfly expert and has taught us so much. He and Nolan found a "him" on our trail and brought "him" home and put "him" in a jar so we could watch "him" metamorphisize into a butterfly. Here is his home:
For the first two days, I’m not sure he ever took a break from eating those leaves.
Monarchs eat milkweed, so Frank and Nolan found some and put it in his jar (they also lay their eggs on milkweed). (News to me…I thought any old leaves would do! Ha!)
We also learned that they have antennas on both ends to confuse their prey. You can kind of see it in this picture:
On Sunday morning, when we woke up, he was hanging in a “J” shape. So, Frank informed us that he would form a chrysalis soon.
Sure enough, by Sunday afternoon, the chrysalis emerged. Of course, he is in one of the worst spots possible for pictures, but I did my best!
It has been so interesting. Frank grew up knowing this stuff… me? Not into the creepy-crawly creatures. Way too busy with Barbie and Cabbage Patch Kids. So, I will keep you posted when Carl the Butterfly emerges! I hope we get to see him actually break out of "his" chrysalis.
*Note... "Carl" may actually be "Carla"...we won't know until "he" emerges. :) :)
4 comments:
Nikki that is so cool. I'm with you I don't know too much about that kind of stuff:P But how fun!
Wow, how cool! Keep us posted on the transformation:)
how exciting is THAT?! love it! what a fun thing to experience with your kids...love the pictures..please take some more so we can experience carl (a?) turning into a butterfly!!!
HOw totally cool! Loved the pictures too - the green is amazing! Can't wait to see the final pictures!
Post a Comment